The SYJCC will be following the Governor’s Directive and will cancel all programs and services effective tonight, Monday, March 16, 2020 at 6:00 pm. It has always been our goal to continue to be here for you and your families as much as we possibly can and we will continue to do that.
We will continue to:
- Set up a “warm” line so our professional staff can stay in touch with anyone in need
- Maintain communication with our Early Childhood Center families and seniors.
- Share at-home fitness videos featuring our instructors so you may keep active.
- Adjust our senior lunch program to curbside pick-up.
Messages From Rick Lewis, CEO Suffolk Y JCC
Dear SYJCC Members & Guests,
While I am happy to report that we will continue to operate as normal, I will refrain from sending you the over used “out of an abundance of caution” and “deep cleaning” email. Instead, I will give you some updates on all that has been going on behind the scenes at the Suffolk Y JCC
I have been in regular contact with the Suffolk County Department of Health, the Governor’s office and the County Executive’s office while we continue to assess the best course of action for the SYJCC during the Coronavirus pandemic.
At the Suffolk Y JCC:
- We will continue to increase our disinfecting procedures in all rooms
- We will continue to ask you to wash your hands often, cover your mouth when you cough, refrain from sharing, and wipe down the fitness center equipment prior to and post use
- We will continue to ask you, or anyone in your household who is symptomatic and has yet to be medically cleared, to please refrain from using the facility
- We will continue to ask you, or anyone in your household, to please refrain from entering the facility if you have recently returned from a high-risk region of the country or abroad and are still in the 14-day day quarantine window
- We will isolate our programs to the best extent possible
- We will greatly expanded our hand sanitizing stations throughout the building and encourage you to use them
- We will reduce the usage of our building by outside community groups
- We will not make our facilities available to other JCC’s as we have done so in the past
- We have cancelled all intergenerational programming throughout the building
Every day brings new challenges and questions as we navigate these uncharted waters. Our goal is to remain open, to continue to serve our members during this time, and to help you maintain your daily routine. We are committed to continuing to serve our homebound seniors, provide lunch to our seniors and to provide intervention services during this very stressful time.
Our staff are working very hard to balance being here for you and the challenges they are facing at home with their own families – very similar to yours – so give them a thanks and a smile, but please, no hugs!
Suffolk Y JCC
Good Afternoon SYJCC Members & Guests,
While many of you have chosen to continue enjoying our aquatics and fitness facilities and classes that have operated through today, we will be following the Governor’s directive and will close effective tonight, Monday, March 16, 2020 at 6:00 pm.
I have received many emails sharing differing opinions during the last few weeks. On one side, was “how irresponsible I was to remain open” to “thank you for giving me the opportunity to continue my routine”. What I can tell you for sure is that, all along the way, I have consulted with many professionals, at all levels of government and health department officials, and continued to serve the community for as long as we could.
It has always been our goal to continue to be here for you and your families as much as we possibly can and we will continue to do that.
As I have written previously:
- We will set up a “warm” line so our professional staff can stay in touch with anyone that needs reassurance at this time.
- We will maintain communication with our Early Childhood Center families and seniors.
- We will be sharing at-home fitness videos featuring our instructors so you may keep active.
- We will adjust our senior lunch program to curbside pick-up. If you are interested in this service, please call x147 to register.
- We will be exploring online platforms for additional classes and programs.
While we are all living through unprecedented times, I can only ask for your patience as we try to get answers to your many questions. When will we open, membership, tuition, staff, credits, extended calendars, etc.? Please allow the Board of Directors and the Executive Staff to take the time to make the right decisions so that we can assure that the Suffolk Y JCC will be ready to open when this crisis is under control. What I can tell you for sure is that if everyone stops paying their membership right now, the future will be that much more uncertain for the Suffolk Y JCC.
Thank you for your support and patience during this time of uncertainty.
Suffolk Y JCC