Covid-19 Policies and Procedures
Cleaning & Disinfecting
A letter from Chief Executive Officer, Rick Lewis, and Chief Engagement Officer, Nancy Briel
SYJCC Members & Community:
We are looking forward to welcoming you back home to the Suffolk Y JCC.
We have and continue to work hard to extend membership by bringing our home into yours through virtual programming. We know so many of you rely on the SYJCC for your daily activities, whether it be working out, swimming laps, walking the track, playing cards or just meeting up with friends. We hope you have enjoyed our virtual programming as we try to provide the same quality of service you have come to expect. We greatly appreciate your continued support as so many of you have continued to pay your membership dues and given additional donations to our Emergency Campaign Fund to ensure our future success together.
At the SYJCC building, we have been hard at work making necessary upgrades and enhancements to ensure a safe environment for you and your family. This Virtual Welcome Back Preparedness page will provide you with everything you need to know in anticipation of your return. We have implemented new procedures and policies to ensure the health and safety of our members and staff while at the SYJCC. When you return, please know that we are committed to following all of the health and safety protocols as set forth by our state and local officials.
We know that you will have a lot of questions as we get ready to open our doors and we will be here to provide you with the answers you need. We are working hard to put the necessary safeguards in place throughout the entire building in order to make this a positive experience for everyone. We will continue to update you through emails, our website and our social media channels. You can contact me if you have any questions by email, email@example.com or by phone at 631-462-9800, x118.
We never take for granted how important the SYJCC is to your daily lives and how grateful we are for your support, patience, and flexibility as we have navigated through these last few months. We are always here4you and are committed to providing you with the services and activities that are vital to our community. We’ve missed you all and are looking forward to seeing you and welcoming you back!
Stay healthy and safe! We look forward to seeing you (in person) soon!
Rick Lewis Nancy Briel
Chief Executive Officer Chief Engagement Officer
Suffolk Y JCC Agency COVID-19 Policies and Procedures
For your safety and the safety of others, the SYJCC has put the following COVID-19 rules and procedures in place. As we welcome you in, help us keep the COVID-19 virus out! Failure or refusal to follow the rules, will result in you being asked to leave the building.
New Entry Protocols
- All members must enter through the main doors of the building prior to participating in any programs, fitness, activities or classes.
- Members and guests over the age of two years, and staff, will be required to wear masks indoors at all times. NOTE – this applies to all areas of the building with the exception of programs operated under the guidance of OCFS.
- Social distancing is required. All members and guests must maintain at least 6 feet of physical distancing from other individuals – this does not pertain to people from your household. All members will be required to sanitize their hands as they enter the facility.
- Members and guests will have their temperature taken using a noninvasive thermal imaging temperature kiosk.
- Upon entering the facility, a “Welcome Ambassador” will ask several “well visit” questions to gain entrance into the building.
- Have you or a member of your household experienced COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days?
- Have you or a member of your household tested positive for COVID-19 test in the past 14 days?
- Have you or a member of your household come in close contact with a confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case in the past 14 days?
- If your temperature is 100.0 or higher, you will not be permitted entry to the facility. If you have had any of these symptoms in the past 72 hours – fever of 100.0 or higher, cough, chills, headache, shortness of breath, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, muscle pain – we ask that you please stay home for the health and safety of our entire SYJCC family.
- Membership cards will be scanned at the front desk. Many areas of our facility, including the Fitness Center, the Gymnasium, the fitness studios, and the spin room have been reconfigured to help ensure appropriate social distancing.
- Please follow the directional signage on the floor to ensure you are going the right way upon entering and moving throughout the facility.
- For the safety of our staff, we have removed all side chairs from their offices and have affixed reminder signs by the entrances to their offices saying please do not enter. In most cases, staff can answer your questions from sitting at their desks while you remain at the door. This is our way of making sure you stay safe as well. If you have difficulty standing, please let us know and our staff will meet you in the lobby where you can maintain the appropriate distance.
- There will be no congregating in any areas of the building. Please take your conversations outside
Cleaning and Disinfecting
Our staff will be continuously sanitizing all frequently used and high-touch areas – door knobs, light switches, etc. Even with our enhanced cleaning and sanitizing protocols, we highly recommend that you maintain your own personal hygiene by not touching your face, eyes or nose. The building will receive an additional cleaning after all members have left for the evening.
- All SYJCC staff who are returning to work must attend mandatory training regarding COVID-19 prevention and safety protocols. The SYJCC facility will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day using products and protocols that meet CDC and EPA guidelines.
- Larger areas will be fogged with an Electrostatic Disinfectant blower.
- Floors will be cleaned with disinfected daily.
- Frequent contact surfaces will be disinfected multiple times per day.
- Health and hygiene reminders have been prominently placed including reminders about hand washing, social distancing, and other guidelines.
- Touchless hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the building.
Aquatics Center – Open
- For the safety of our SYJCC family, only six members, one swimmer per lap lane, will be allowed in the pool at any given time. Reservations for a lap lane must be made in advance through the online application above and can be made up to 3 days in advance or up until 30 minutes before the time slot. Reservations will be available on the hour for 50 minutes of pool time to allow for cleaning in-between members.
- As per current CDC and DOH guidelines, the hot tub and locker rooms will remain closed. Two bathrooms with showers off the pool deck will be available for use.
- For anyone who will be walking on the pool deck, but not swimming, disposable shoe booties will be provided, and must be worn at all times.
- All pool swimming aides, such as kick boards, flippers, barbells and other devices will not be available at this time. You are welcome to bring your own and are asked not to share with anyone outside your family.
Fitness Center – Open
- Fitness equipment has been arranged to optimize equipment use and provide for social distancing.
- Partitions have been placed between each cardio row to allow for proper social distancing and to mitigate the spread of germs and exposure
- Members will be required to wipe off all equipment they touch with sanitizing spray & paper towels provided before and after their workout.
- Dedicated cleaning staff will be working in the Fitness Center at all times.
- For families, we are offering two additional “family only” workout rooms.
- Reservations must be made through our WellnessLiving App to reserve a 60 minute time slot to workout. A maximum number of 20 people will be allowed to work out during each time period. Reservations can be made up to 3 days in advance and up until 30 minutes before the timeslot. Please note: Only reservations for up to the following 3 days will be visible on the App.
Group Exercise Classes
- The number of group exercise classes will be reduced to accommodate time for ample cleaning and disinfecting.
- Group exercise rooms will have social distancing markers on the floor to indicate where each class member should stand.
- Reservations must be made through our WellnessLiving App for group exercise classes as there is a maximum of 10 participants per class. Reservations can be made up to 3 days in advance and up until 30 minutes before the time slot. Please note: Only reservations for up to the following 3 days will be visible on the App.
- You must bring your own mat and weights.
Basketball & Pickleball – Phase V
- Basketball in the Gymnasium may be reserved in 60 minute timeslots. You may reserve time in our WellnessLiving App (coming soon) for play in one-hour increments. Please limit reservations to one per household per day. Reservations can be made up to 3 days in advance and up until 30 minutes before the timeslot. Only reservations for up to the following 3 days will be visible on the App.
- Players must be from the same household.
- Games between those who have not sheltered in place together are not allowed.
- Members must bring their own basketballs.
- No indoor Pickleball may be played at this time.